Thursday 4 December 2014

#TBT - Lace and lashes

Only catwalk models need appliqué?


My search for festive styling inspiration left me bitten by the millennium bug of Lancome's Instinct fragrance campaign from way back in 2000 (yes, I'm aware that through those few words I've just shown my age, but hopefully I've done so gracefully).

Devilishly dramatic was the order of this upcoming festive season, so far as I was concerned. You might have noticed from certain other recent posts that I'm all for a little experimenting with fabric appliqué on makeup and when it's so easy with eyelash glue, why not?

I wanted something quirky but kept to a single fabric and a limited colour palette, to avoid detraction from the outfit in question, or onlookers uttering words to the effect of "Yes, Black Swan was a great film but Halloween was over a month ago!" Fabric makeup appliqué made a brief appearance in the intervening 14 years since my inspiration, in Chanel's spring 2013 shows, again, with a monochrome colour scheme and delicate application of mesh.


Difficulty



Very easy


Time

About 20 minutes.

I started with a cheeky lick of eyeliner along the eyelids and some generously-applied mascara. I then covered my eyelids and inside of my eye sockets with a frame of black eye shadow. I used a brush to smudge the eye shadow slightly in the outside corners. Finally, I added a thin sliver of silver eye shadow to my eyelids to add definition (mind screw of a sentence, notwithstanding) and made the brave step of applying the lace along my eyebrows with eyelash glue. Incidentally, if you're wondering how such a thing is removed without an unintentionally botched eyebrow wax, I'd definitely recommend using cleanser or an equivalent for dissolving the glue first.


Use the darkest dark purple lip liner you can find for the outline and slick some pink liner along the inside of your lower lip, then, add a deep berry or plum and cover your lips with clear gloss. You can also use liquid eye liner to add the beauty spot if it's the real McCoy you're going for. Dust the underside of your cheekbones with a rose blusher.







No comments:

Post a Comment